Monday, February 21, 2011
Here Come Those Eyes...
This song has shaped my day. I loved it the second Pandora brought it to my attention this morning while I was doing breakfast dishes. Shortly after, my husband called and asked if I wanted to meet him for lunch.
Brillant!
This song got me to pay more attention to my appearance and to give him quite the "I made you a sandwich" kiss.
In the course of today, I have thought about my husband and how he reacts to me; how he has always reacted to me.
We met, kissed, got engaged and planned our life together all within, like, 5 minutes.
When it all falls into place that quickly, there isn't much time for him to pine for me. There's no time to mistake shyness for unrequited love.
So I have no choice but to day dream about what it would have been like if we had met at school- or working side by side at an ice cream parlor. You know, like everyone else.
I try to imagine my husband, Mr. Calm, Cool and Collected- the guy with a reptilian heartrate-the man who is all about a "measured response"- getting flustered or nervous. Being as honest as I can be in this forum, he's never caught off guard. He's never not in total control.
Ever.
Lucky for me, I have a fabulous imagination.
And in the course of fusing daydreams with the real life details, I mentally traveled back to the first time we met. Really met. Face to face. Not the time I saw him walk thru the room and not notice the girl who had just lost her heart to him.
In my awesome parallel reality, I didn't have a fat lip. And I wasn't wearing a scrunchie.
I sauntered.
I mesmorized.
I made his head spin.
In real reality, I knew he was planning to ask me out. Kelly had shown him my picture and established that if Bryan asked me out, I would say yes.
But, to my dismay, once he was around me, there was no mention of a date. I was left with no other conclusion than one involving him not being into girls with fat lips and scrunchies.
Stephanie, my friend and ride, was leaving. I said my goodbyes and as I walked to the door, I was heavy hearted. Just as I was closing the door, Kelly called out, "Rachel, Bryan wants to ask you something."
I popped my head back into the room. Bryan asked me if I would like to go with him to San Francisco sometime soon.
I casually said, "I'd like that."
I was cautiously optomistic that maybe he did like me, at least a tiny bit.
And what do you know, a few weeks later, while I was starring at my engagement ring and we were re-living all 4 of our dates, he sheepishly admitted he was a little nervous to ask me out that first night.
Huh.
Mr. Confidence- Mr. Always Ready For It All- wasn't ready for the girl with the fat lip and scrunchy.
Even my daydreams couldn't have beat that.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
.....so cute
ReplyDelete