I used to read thrillers, exclusively. I've never thought I was much of a girly-girl. I read "Jane Eyre" in 8th grade and really liked it. I felt as plain and boring as Jane. I got her. But romance was not my thing.
Then, on a quick trip to NYC, my sister-in-law recommended a book.
I bought it that day.
On the train ride home, I read it.
It changed my life.
Why, you ask?
Because in reading that romance (and no, not a cheesy Fabio book), I realized I was a real girl (think Pinocchio).
I've never felt overly squeely, girly. I completely h.a.t.e.d the Notebook.
It's a joke that the doctor ordered my hysterectomy when he found out that I wasn't a fan of Nic Sparks.
But I read this book and came to see another side of me.
So, I read another romantic story. And guess what?
I liked that, too!
I have since read a few more. I'm zeroing in on what exactly pulls me into a story so completely that, at times, showering and feeding children become a burden.
I almost have a formula.
What to know what it is? Of course you do.
Take a plain girl.
Put her in a plain environment.
Add an extraordinary suitor.
Keep her ignorant of his almost immediate attraction.
Feel free to give him super human abilities/courage beyond measure.
Give them a chance.
That's it. That's my formula.
Sarah and Capt. Jack are at the top of my list.
Bella and Edward are there, too.
Nothing beats extraordinary falling in love with ordinary.
I should know. it's the story of my life. That's why Kelly Foote says I love this formula.
But c'mon. Don't all girls?
Would Pride and Perjudice be the inspiration for millions of knock offs if I'm the only one?
So tell me something.
1. What books do you recommend I, a freshly realized romantic, read?
2. What's you favorite formula?
I think you would like anything by Amanda Quick. They are historical suspense romances and the woman are normal women or plain women that are strong and independent that find extraordinary men who fall in love with them for who they are not what they look like. They are page turners.
ReplyDeleteI have no real formula. I can pretty much read anything as long as it has a good plot. However I do tend to like historical novels a lot. Julia Quinn is really good too if you like humor in your novels as well.
I do not like sy-fi type novels. I like when the "bad" guy is really the good and the good guy is really bad. Please tell me the name of this novel.
I will look into these STAT!
ReplyDeleteGood call on the bad guy/good guy confusion.
And the book I was referring to is, "These is My Words" by Nancy E. Turner.
I read it, or parts of it, consistantly.
Rachelle, the Amanda Quinn covers look so cheesy.
ReplyDeleteAre they smutty? They look a Fabio-ish. I've never read a book with him on the cover, but you know what I mean.