Thursday, May 27, 2010

So What's Your Story

I feel obligated to preface what you are about to read.
It is shallow, self-serving, vain and a whole lot of wrong.
And it's ALL Kelly's doing.

But I'm willing to bet you do this, too. In those moments, when I'm  smelling like Tuesday -even though it's Wednesday-when I'm scrubbing something that should have made it's way to the bathroom-when I can't believe how annoying clothing without elastic waistbands can be...in those moments, here's what I think about.

(I'm TOTALLY cringing right now. And mentally screaming, "KELLLLLLYYYY!")

I think about my ego boosts. I think about a time someone looked at me, flirted with me, flattered and/or complimented me. And yes, I have complied a list. And yes, Kelly has said list and then told me, "Rachel, you should blog about this."

I have been listeneing to her for decades and she has never done me wrong. This may be the time when it all changes.

OK- strait off my ego boost list:

Dr. XXXXX(not saying his name because I have seen him on the news commenting on health issues).
My oldest son lacerated his spleen at the age of 9. After 2 ambulance rides, we ended up at the New England medical Center. He was there for 4 days and I never left his side. Except to go and get chocolate crossaints from Au Bon Pain.
He was released and we had to come back after 3 weeks and then again after 3 months. At the last appt, after an MRI, the dr cleared Ethan for normal activities. When we were leaving (me and the 4 kids) the dr gave me his cell phone number and told me to call him next time I was coming into the city. We could get together and have dinner. I played it cool and said my husband loves dinner in the city.

I am embarrassed to admit that sometimes I think back on that. No matter how bad/fat/frumpy I may look RIGHT NOW, there was a time, back in the day, when a pediatric trama surgeon (who had met my husband) (AND all my kids...well, all I had at the time) asked me out.

Ug.
I am already regretting this.

Now, your turn.
Let me hear your ego boosts.

2 comments:

  1. woohooooo!! GOOD GIRL. Mine: (I'll give you 2)
    1- when my obgyn- this was before kid #4 and my muffin top- said to me (mid exam) "you need to relax these killer ab muscles of yours-- I can't find your uterus." I think about that one when I am pulling my jeans up over my pooch (or as my friend says- my food baby). When I'm driving in my car. (you KNOW you have done this.)

    #2- When I was in college I was a lifeguard at a pool on campus. This was in the dorm complex where the athletes ate dinner after practice. There was this ONE football player who used to walk by the pool and yell "HEY! Halle Berry! I'm on my way to eat I hope there something in there that looks good like YOU!!"

    yes- I think about that when I'm knee-deep in it- when my 8 year old says "Mom, if we're late again, I am no longer your daughter." or when my Tween daughter rolls her eyes and says "wheatever" ( i flipped her off for that one,,,) Or when EVERYWHERE my teenage son has been in the house smells like a fart...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice job!!!
    Points to you for the killer ab comment. My ob/gyn is way more innapropriate. There's nothing I can post from hIm but that's ok because you know all my stories anyway.
    And I had a highschool football player who used to call me Michelle phieffer. Remember that? Of course you do. You know it all.
    More, Kelly. I want more. and I know you have more ego boosts.

    ReplyDelete