Thursday, January 7, 2010

Geometry Never Was My Thing


I'm at a cross-roads.
Here I am, 35, wondering who I am, but knowing myself better than I ever have before. And just when I think I get me, I surprise even myself. During my morning meditation session (ie: folding laundry) I was thinking of one thing that led to another (think: "If You Give a Pig a Pancake) and I thought of the phrase, "Life is one eternal round". And then, almost to debate my internal dialogue, I thought about going to my friends house on Saturday. They are professional photgraphers and it's always fun to take pics of the family but how this time I want to do some campy housewifey type shots (FYI: do NOT google campy housewife pictures. there are no good ideas in that word grouping).
Where was I?
Oh. Yeah.

I was thinking about all the different sides of me. The mom who digs making homemade everything.
The wife who puts on dark lipstick and high heels to properly greet my husband.
The daughter who calls to say hi and tell funny stories to grandma.
Then there's the girlfriend whose a goodie-goodie to one set of friends and somehow, without being different, I am the irreverent trouble maker in another group.
So I was thinking that there are many sides to me. And you. But if life is one eternal round, what does that mean??

It means I hated geometry, that's what.
Mr. Chen, bless his soul, couldn't save me from the pain and horror that is geometry. Oh, wait. I had Ms. What's Her Name. She had shortish brown curly hair, She never wore make up and Mark Robestelli always got me in trouble. And Stephanie Dabo always wrote cutsie sayings on the chalkboard like, "Happiness is like jam. You can't spread even a little without getting some on yourself."
How can I remember all these details and not know the taechers name?
Ms. Mullin? Mullen?
Huh.

What was my point?
Who cares.
How can there be a point if life is one eternal round?
I don't know it all. Surprised? Yeah, me too. Except I do know that my nickname is Rae.
Not ray.
You know. Like a line which starts at a point and goes off in a particular direction to infinity.

Aren't you glad I'm not going to go on for forever?

3 comments:

  1. At least they were positive notes!! : ) I try and do the same with my boys!!! : )

    ReplyDelete
  2. You two crack me up. And the geometry teacher (who was my trig teacher) was married to the earth sciences teacher, and neither wore deoderant (which was scandelous to me at the time). I took geometry over summer break with Ryan, Carlos and Gabers and my math skills never recovered. I falied trig in one semester and never returned to math. How's that for round and round? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Seriously? They didn't wear deoderant?
    I couldn't smell anything.

    I flunked trig, too.

    I'll come visit your blog Sarah :)

    ReplyDelete