Wednesday, January 27, 2010

I am Trapped in a Bad Marriage.


Us In Good Times




I am struggling.
You see, I am married to diet coke.
Vows have been made; commitments kept.
And still...I fantasize about being health conscious.
I can vividly picture myself, frolicking on the beach. Trim, toned, vegetarian.
At times, I have even gone so far as to imagine what it's like to be vegan.

I know, I know.
It's wrong.
Unnatural.
Disgraceful.

I know what would happen if I acted on these crazy impulses.
I'd get all ready. I'd look forward to my nutritional rendezvoux.
They say anticipation is a powerful aphrodisiac.
 When the time is right, would I really go thru with it?
In that moment, would I order from the Chili's "guilt free" menu?
And then what?
Wash it down with citrus water?

I could try. I want to try.
But then what?
I can't live like that.
I mean, really.
I could do it for a meal. Probably even a day. And I might even enjoy it.
But live like that?
It would never work.
I would feel ashamed.
Hungry.

I'd yearn for what I had.
I'd thirst for the ease and comfort of my former life.
Sure. Discipline and exactness and non-dairy milk seem enticing.
But I have made promises.
And I will keep my word.
I will fulfill my duties to this liquid that disgusts and enslaves.

But the fantasies...
Will they ever go away?

No comments:

Post a Comment